I have taught Film and Television studies in Higher Education since 2008. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) UK and an Avid Certified Instructor teaching Pro Tools. I am the Co-Programme Leader of the BA Film and Television Production degree at Northumbria University.
Undergraduate – Audiovisual Essay, Film Sound: Theory and History, Film Sound Design, Introduction to Filmmaking (fact and fiction), Film Language, Film Criticism, Making Film and Television, Short Filmmaking, Channels of Communication, Ideology of the Image, Irish Cinema, Key Moments in Film and Television, Documentary for Film and Television, World Cinema, Dissertation Supervision, Mixed Media Research Supervision.
Postgraduate – Researching Film, Sound Design for Film, Visual Culture, Audiovisual Essay, MLitt in Film and Television Studies Core Course, Research Methods for Creative and Critical Practice.
- (6 day workshop)The Video Essay, Kings College London, England, (Co-Facilitated with Dr Catherine Grant), 25th April – 2nd May 2022.
- Masterclass and Workshop – Sound and the Audiovisual Essay, Linnaeus University, Sweden; Stockholm University, Sweden; Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU Trondheim), Norway (virtual), 1st April 2022.
- (5 workshops) The Audiovisual Essay, McGill University, Canada (virtual), (Co-Facilitated with Dr Catherine Grant), October 2021-January 2022.
- Masterclass – BFI Film Academy, Nerve Centre, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, Description: Masterclass on sound for film for BFI Film Academy Young Filmmakers, 5th November 2020.
- Masterclass – BFI Film Academy, Nerve Centre, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, Description: Masterclass on sound for film for BFI Film Academy Young Filmmakers, 24th October 2019.
- Masterclass – BFI Film Academy, Nerve Centre, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, Description: Masterclass on sound for film for BFI Film Academy Young Filmmakers, 16th December 2017.
- Guest Mentor and Speaker, Videographic Criticism Workshop, Middlebury College, Vermont, USA, June 25th – July 1st 2017 (funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities).
- Workshop – The Audiovisual Essay in Ireland, Maynooth University, (Co-Facilitated with Dr Catherine Grant) 9th – 10th May 2016.
- Masterclass – “David Lynch and Alan Splet: Unpicking Sound Collaboration in the Archive” Listen, Cork Film Festival, Ireland, 11th November 2015.
- Masterclass – Foyle Film School, University of Ulster School of Media, Film & Journalism in partnership with The Nerve Centre, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 7th September 2012.
External Examiner Duties
- Glasgow School of Art, BDes Sound for the Moving Image, 2022-2026.
- University of Birmingham, BA and MA in Film, 2020-2024.
- Canterbury Christ Church University, Masters by Research examination, 2021.
- University of Edinburgh, PhD examination, 2020.
- Canterbury Christ Church University, Masters by Research examination, 2019.
- Programmatic Review for MA Broadcast Production, Faculty of Film, Art and Creative Technologies – Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, 2018.
- Canterbury Christ Church University, PhD examination, 2018.
- University of Reading, BA Film & Theatre (Joint Programmes), England, 2016-2020.
- London South Bank University, BA Digital Film & Video degree, England, 2015-2019.
- University of Chester, MA Television Production degree, England, 2012-2016
- Ballyfermot College of Further Education, BA Media Production Management degree, Ireland, 2012-2014.
- External Assessor – BA (Hons) Film, Radio and Television degree, Canterbury Christ Church University, England, 2014.
- External Academic Adviser – FdA Sound and Music Technology degree, Plymouth University, England, 2012.